Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Just Like You Should Be.

Today I’m a cranky wife.
Not at anyone in particular, just in general. Because I’m working an hour later than usual the rest of the week and The Deputy has side jobs and work the rest of the week, I’ll be missing him by a few minutes in the evening. It’s always been weird coming home while he gets ready to leave, but this week I’ll be getting home after he’s already gone. And of course I can handle coming home alone and entertaining myself. Easy. But I’ll admit, I love that guy. And I love hanging out with him, even if it is just us and the cat, squished on the small couch, watching Frasier on Netflix until bed time.
The crankiness was with me already when I woke up this morning, which prompted the question, “So basically it’s your job to sit by while everyone else has a life, and make sure they don’t kill each other…?” when The Deputy found out he’s ‘on call’ for National Night Out. He smiled and said, “Pretty much!”
Am I being a tad dramatic today? You bet. I know he chose this career and I chose to marry into it and I know he does more than just mediate drunken fights. But every now and then I get annoyed when he works on holidays, events, fairs, whatever…in order for everyone else to be able to have a good time.

4 comments:

  1. It's get even worse when your spouse has to work a special detail on Thanksgiving at the jail so that families can come spend Thanksgiving with the inmates, meanwhile the "good guy" has to be away from his. Not fair! Not fair! I understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had that conversation before about Thanksgiving, when he used to work in the jail...I understand inmates are people too, Im not totally heartless, but I still can't wrap my head around the idea of LEO families having to be separated on holidays so they can be with theirs...its a crazy world sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone! I'm a new wife to a rookie cop and I'm still trying to deal with the fact he works all the time. It can be so frustrating! Just like you said, any event, holiday, etc. I'm so grateful that there are people like our husbands who can do that job, but sometimes it's hard for me to understand! Thanks for letting me realize, we're not alone! A Rookies Wife (ARookiesWife.Blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh ditto to what Rookie's Wife said! I feel like I am cranky all the time these days thanks to my hubby's schedule!! My husband is a brand new cop and we are just working our way through it and taking each day one at a time. I write about it on my blog mypolicewifelife.blogspot.com...glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete