Friday, January 18, 2013

Nothing a little gun oil can't fix....

That's right. Gun oil.

The other day I noticed our steak knives were starting to rust a little. I left them on the counter to show The Deputy when he woke up, because he tends to be super handy with all the things in life I don't feel like dealing with. Or caring about.

I asked him what he thought we could use to clean that off (and of course asked if consuming rust was going to kill us. He said no, but I'm not totally convinced) and he picked one up, examined it a little and said, "We could probably use some oil..." So naturally, I asked what kind, thinking I would need to go to the section of the grocery store that sells such items to clean and take care of silverware. (It's the aisle right next to magic potions and secret remedies of make-believe land, right?)

He shook his head and said, "No, I'll just rub a little bit of gun oil on them and they'll be fine."

(I need an emoticon that correctly portrays my dead pan stare when I'm trying to decide whether or not he's kidding. And then flash forwarding 7 years and picturing my child, injured, saying, "No mom, it's alright, we don't need to go to the doctor's...just rub a little gun oil on it!")

Anyways. I eventually Googled it. That's right. Everything useful in life, I learned from Google. But even he (Yes, Google is a "he") looked at me like I was crazy for typing in "Using gun oil to clean steak knives" and just gave me 10,000 pages of how to clean my hunting knife.

I want to be concerned about the effects of consuming gun oil, but I guess it can't be any worse than rust...

No comments:

Post a Comment