Thursday, July 3, 2014

On Anniversaries and Whatnot.

I'm a little late on this post, my 2 year wedding anniversary was actually on Monday, June 30th. But that day was actually spent curled up in the fetal position on the couch, puking and feeling sorry for myself. I really know to celebrate!

Luckily, The Deputy and I were able to spend the weekend away, for the first time in a long time. I managed to feel great (Zofran free!) for Friday night and most of Saturday. Saturday evening we made reservations at a fancy pants restaurant, but wound up spending the evening eating Pizza Hut straight from the box in our hotel room.

But love is love, right? And either way, we accomplished another fantastic year of marriage, so I'll just make up for the lost anniversary weekend next year.

I find myself desperately nostalgic these days, I blame it on the sickness. But with this past weekend being our wedding anniversary, it brought me back to our first 4th of July as a married couple. If you know me, you know I'm a holiday nut...everyone in my family (the ladies, at least) are crazy excited about any and every holiday we get the chance to celebrate. So combine my love for holidays with my love for 'Merica and you get start to sense how excited I get about the 4th of July. Which will help me sound slightly less pathetic when I openly admit that spending our first 4th of July away from home seriously bummed me out.

We weren't even in the country. Instead, we were at a beautiful resort, on a beautiful beach in Cozumel. Normal people were excited to be there. They were partying, getting their hair braided with seashells (please, let's come back to that) and happily doing the limbo. I, on the other hand, was mourning for my beloved America. All alone on her birthday.

The Deputy and I had gone out earlier that day to hit up the local shops and to get hustled into buying 'genuine' jeweled Mason rings and $700 bamboo sheets (Don't worry, we only bought a set of hand painted bowls). We came back to the resort and found a glorious U-S-A celebration in the making! (My heart began to immediately chant and fist pump. No joke.) Red, white and blue balloons, table cloths, party hats, chairs, streamers, everywhere! I was ecstatic and ready to ease my aching heart with the only true blooded, American, 4th of July remedy: A hot dog.

That's all I wanted. A hot dog. On the birthday of my precious country.

We found a place to sit, grabbed our plates and made our way over to the buffet table.....to find the same exact food they had been serving at every dinner, every night before. Some sort of pork/beef, some sort of rice/potatoes, some sort of fruit and a giant watermelon carved into something spectacular (I don't say that sarcastically either. I'm impressed by anyone who can even manage to cut a watermelon into slices. So you can imagine my level of impression when you've formed the fruit into Abraham Lincoln's face without accidentally slicing off a body part).

So a part of my soul died.

Then I realized I could salvage the night with a brownie! Brownies fix everything. Brownies + ice cream on top are actually the only reason I get out of bed in the mornings. So I sent The Deputy over to the snack bar to get me a brownie. And I decided that I would survive this holiday.

He came back with a vanilla brownie. Maybe it was some sort of white chocolate, maybe it was some sort of special exotic kind of dessert, maybe it was made with unicorn wishes. I didn't care. All I knew is that it wasn't brown. I didn't ask questions after that, I just silently wept inside.

The party got going and when I realized there would be nothing there that night to even closely resemble America's birthday bash that was taking place back home, we called it quits and went back to our room. Where I cried (on the outside) for the very first time that trip. Mostly because I was homesick for a place where SpongeBob spoke a language I fully understood, partly because I was exhausted from being out in the sun so much, but really, because I was missing the 4th of July.

So Happy 4th of July, ya'll. Enjoy your holiday weekend, see some fireworks, grill something and please, please don't forget to eat a hot dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment